Monday, February 22, 2010

Math Mammoth Grade 1 Complete Curriculum Review

As a member of the TOS Homeschool Review Crew, I was sent a complete Grade 1 Math Curriculum from a company called Math Mammoth. Maria Miller is the author of the Math Mammoth series. Her philosophy is this: "My aim is to help parents and teachers teach math so our children and students can really understand what is going on. I've strived to explain the concepts so that both the teacher and the student can "get it" by reading the explanations in the books. In essence, the books become practically self-teaching."

Math Mammoth has a wide range of choices for parents who are trying to watch every dollar and yet get a quality math program. I chose to review the Full Curriculum, Light Blue Series for first grade, to use with my daughter, Jessica, who is 6 years old. She is always asking to "do pluses and minuses", so after reading how the curriculum works, I thought she would be a good fit to use to review the curriculum. I was right. The Curriculum came in a pdf format, so I was able to print out the pages that I wanted her to work on and we had math manipulatives at home to use if she needed them. typically while I was working and reading with my preschooler, I would give Jessica a few printed pages to work on. I would read the directions to her, go over the first problem, and let her finish the page on her own. She enjoyed the independence very much and felt very satisfied in her work. I was impressed at how easily she picked up on the concepts.

I think the curriculum is a good fit for children who are very independent learners and who may not require much review, and for parents who are budget minded and don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a quality math program with excellent supplemental materials.

Math Mammoth is mastery oriented and emphasizes conceptual development in a logical sequence. The complete curriculum covers all topics by grade level. Each grade level includes two parts of a work text (a & b); tests, cumulative reviews, answer keys, and a worksheet maker. Topics for first grade include addition & subtraction within 0- 10, place value with 2 digit numbers, geometry and measuring, reading clocks to the half hour and counting and using coins. You can check out the Math Mammoth website at http://www.mathmammoth.com/
The full Grade 1 Curriculum costs $29.70 and supportive materials cost $14.

No comments:

Post a Comment