Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Web Design For kids (...and curious grown-ups!) Review

As part of the TOS Homeschool Review Crew, I was given a product by Click Drag Solutions titled: Web Design for Kids (...and curious grown-ups!). I have to admit, I was a bit intimated by this product, basically because I am not too computer savvy and would rather be cooking than learning all about basic HTML. I am happy to report, that I was very pleased with the DVD and felt much more computer literate after viewing it. My children are too young for this particular product (the website gives the age range of 8- adult) and since I was never taught this material, I used the product as a student would.

I would suggest watching the DVD on a TV screen and following along with your own computer. The DVD is 1 hour and 22 minutes long covering 7 chapters. At the end of each chapter the "Teacher" Brian Richardson (who is actually a middle school Computer Literacy Teacher) asks the viewer questions to review and if at any point you don't understand what was just taught, simply go back and watch that chapter again. Brian Richardson has two students in the DVD who are at computers following along with his instructions. He answers their questions and even has them change some parts of the HTML code to demonstrate how important attention to detail is when creating the web page.

As a mom, I can see the value in having my children learn this skill as they get older. Also, as a business owner, I see how this DVD can be a very valuable tool in creating a web page for a business without spending a lot of money hiring someone to design a web page for me. The pace of the DVD was perfect for me as it walked me through step by step the basic lines of HTML Code; Colors, making the subject stand out; creating stand alone tags; designing backgrounds; how to use Fonts and Paragraphs and how to incorporate pictures into the web page. The DVD has the viewers use the computer software called "Notepad" and "Internet Explorer" which every computer that operates in Windows has, so there is no need to purchase any extra software.

You can purchase the DVD Web Design for Kids (...and curious grown-ups!) at the website www.WebDesignforKids.net or you can call them at 1-866-932-9122. They have a 24 hour call center. At the time I am writing this post, the DVD was being offered for a limited time for $19.99 (plus $3.99 shipping and Handling) that is 50% off the regular price of $40.00 (plus $3.99 for shipping and handling). I also wanted to mention that proceeds from the DVD go to charities listed on the website and are also named at the end of the DVD. So if teaching your children (or yourself) how to create a web page was one of your goals for this school year, I would choose this DVD.

1 comment:

  1. Katie -- love it! I'd rather be cooking than learning HTML too :) But step by step isn't quite so bad.

    ReplyDelete