Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Time 4 Learning Review


As part of the TOS Homeschool Review Crew I was given a free 30 day membership to the Time 4 Learning website found here: https://www.time4learning.com/curriculum/index.html

I was asked to review the newly released Pre-K program, and I was more than happy to do it! I have a four year old and a six year old, so I was able to let both children use the program for the purpose of the review.

The Pre-K level of Time 4 Learning uses high-interest topics to keep young children engaged. Each topic offers a variety of activities from short videos, matching games, stories, puzzles, and other appealing activities. Young children will enjoy the colorful graphics and interesting characters.
My children enjoyed the program VERY much! I was impressed with the scope of topics and the ease of use. My children could navigate the site on their own and choose which topics they wanted to learn about. There are pictures next to each topic name so that even my non-reader knew the subject covered. Once a topic was completed, a check mark would appear over it. This gave my girls a sense of accomplishment.

I thought the site was great and was a useful teaching tool. There is also a parents forum where you can connect with other parents. One aspect I did not like, was the fact that this site is not a Christian site. I am very careful with what I have my children read/ watch and there are secular teachings like evolution (not balanced by creation), as well as, witches and sorcerers (this was in higher levels, I kept my eyes open during the preschool level and didn't find anything too objectionable). There is a thread on the parents forum for Christians and it lists all questionable material, and once aware of it you can decide if you choose to have your child use that particular lesson. I would LOVE for this company to come out with a Christian based curriculum, I think they would gain many more customers!

Time 4 Learning offers access to their pre-K to 8th grade programs on a month-to-month basis. The first child is $19.95 per month and each additional child is $14.95 per month.

2 comments:

  1. Katie -- my 4 and 6 year olds loved it too :)

    I'll have to check out the thread you mentioned on the parent's forum. I know when my older guys used T4L in the past, we ran into some things, but nothing too horrible. In my household, we do teach a fair amount about evolution, so I don't object to that content cropping up occasionally.

    My daughter is going to be very sad when she can no longer log on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can also relate to wanting someting Christian based..Thats why ,when we started homeschooling we chose a book curriculum Abeka...The problem is sometimes what we want doesnt work..
    AFter a couple of years of struggling, we came across http://www.Time4Learning.com After struggling with going with a non-christian based program ,we felt her being able to learn Period! was more important..Because really in the end basic education doesnt have to have a christian theme,Like my husband told me "WE" can add our own bible based learning in ourselves :)
    So its been 2 yrs since we switched & for us I am so Happy we did ..& so our my kids!
    As far as "evolution" ,"witches" ect...I just try not to worry because if i see something i dont want them to learn,I just tell them to skip it...or exsplain why others believe so & such ;)
    Anyways I just thought I'd add my exsperiance to your review..Hope it was okay :)

    ReplyDelete